SWPPP/Erosion Services

Services We Provide

Horizon’s SWPPP/Erosion services range from initial site investigation to design and implementation of temporary and permanent BMPs, SWPPP plan production and updating, required annual site inspections and reporting, and training to employees about how the SWPPP plan affects their working environment.

Erosion Services Crane at construction site, SWPPP Services Horizon Environmental Services
Horizon Environmental Services, Inc additional services, photo of paving small walkway

New Construction

Laws and Regulations
Stormwater discharges are regulated federally by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) under the guidance of Section 402 of the Clean Water Act.  NPDES controls water pollution by regulating point source pollutant discharges into “waters of the US.”  In most cases the NPDES permit program is administered by authorized state entities; for example, in Texas, NPDES permitting is administered by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ).

As of March 10, 2003, in order to discharge stormwater from a construction site, all construction projects that disturb one acre or more of land must have either:  an individual stormwater permit, or coverage under the NPDES or Texas Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (TPDES) general permits. Disturbance includes, but is not limited to soil disturbance, clearing, grading, and excavation.  Operators of sites disturbing less than one acre are also required to obtain a permit if their activity is part of a “larger common plan of development or sale” with a planned disturbance of one acre or greater. To apply for a NPDES or TPDES individual permit or for coverage under a TPDES general permit, you must file an application with the TCEQ prior to commencement of your construction activities.

Are Stormwater Discharges From Construction Activities Regulated?

Under the existing Construction General Permit (CGP) TXR150000, issued 5 March 2018, construction activities from which runoff goes into or adjacent to any surface water of the state are regulated according to the area of land disturbed:

  • Large Construction Activities – disturb greater than 5 acres, or are part of a larger common plan of development that will disturb 5 or more acres, are regulated under the CGP TXR150000.
  • Small Construction Activities – disturb at least 1 but less than 5 acres, or are part of a larger common plan of development that will disturb at least 1 but less than 5 acres, are regulated under CGP TXR150000.
  • Construction activities that disturb less than 1 acre, and are not part of a larger common plan of development that would disturb 1 or more acres, are not required to obtain coverage under CGR TXR150000.

Contact Our Team

Find out how the highly trained professionals at Horizon can help your project succeed.